Law Offices of Renee Lazar
CALL RENEE TODAY AT 978-844-4095

How to File for a Divorce in Massachusetts

If you meet the Massachusetts divorce requirements, you may then proceed with filing for divorce.  The divorce filing process depends on the type of divorce you are requesting.

If you are filing a no-fault divorce, and you and  your spouse have no disagreement regarding issues of child custody, child support, debts, and assets, then you can file a Joint Petition for Divorce.  This petition must be filed with the Probate and Family Court in the county where you or your spouse is living or in the county where you and your spouse last lived together.The Joint Petition for Divorce states that neither party is alleging fault for the breakdown of the marriage.  Once you file, the court will process your paperwork and assign a hearing date.

If one of the parties is alleging fault, then the divorce process begins when one spouse files the Complaint about Divorce.  When the complaint is filed with the proper Probate and Family Court, the other spouse will be served with a copy and given a chance to respond.

No-fault divorces where parties agree on all the terms of the divorce usually take much less time than a divorce in which one party is alleging fault.

To learn more of the divorce process for your particular situation, contact the Law Offices of Renee Lazar

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Law Offices of Renee Lazar
4308 Thompson Farm
Bedford, MA 01730
Phone: 978-844-4095
Fax: 781-687-5807
Map and Directions