Law Offices of Renee Lazar
CALL RENEE TODAY AT 978-844-4095

Parents Naming Children or Changing a Child's Name

The right to name a child under age 18 belongs to the child's parents. If the parents cannot agree on the child's name, the court will decide based on the best interests of the child.

This rule applies whether the children are born to a married couple or to an unmarried couple. However, when the court is presented with a petition to change the name of a child born out of wedlock, the court should consider the following:

  • the effect of the change of the child's surname on the preservation and development of the child's relationship with each parent and other siblings;
  • the length of time the child has used a given name;
  • the age of the child as it may relate to his or her identification with the surname; and
  • the difficulties and embarrassment that the child may experience from hearing the present or proposed surname.

The court is not allowed to give greater weight to a father's interest in the child having his surname than the mother's interest in the child having her surname.

Sometimes after divorce or separation one parent may try to change the name of the child by filing a petition for change of name. If the other parent does not agree, there will most likely be a court hearing. The court can change the child's name if it is in the child's best interest.

Contact the Law Offices of Renee Lazar to schedule a free one hour consultation to discuss your situation.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Law Offices of Renee Lazar
4308 Thompson Farm
Bedford, MA 01730
Phone: 978-844-4095
Fax: 781-687-5807
Map and Directions