Using Qualified Domestic Relations Orders (QDROs) to Collect Alimony and Child Support Arrears

| Jul 1, 2015 | Divorce |

In the world of family law, few problems compare to a person’s failure to receive court-ordered alimony and/or child support on a regular, recurring basis. The enforcement and collection of support arrears can be difficult, expensive and time consuming. One overlooked remedy is to tap a non-custodial parent’s retirement plan for unpaid support. The technical term is a Qualified Domestic Relations Order or QDRO. Such QDROs apply to both Defined Benefit Plans (traditional pensions) and Defined Contribution Plans (401-K Plans and the like). Even if the non-custodial parent has lost his or her job, a QDRO remains available for support collection purposes.

Contact the Law Offices of Renee Lazar should you have any questions regarding alimony or child support arrears at 978-844-4095 to schedule a free consultation.

Set Up A Free Initial Consultation