Massachusetts landlords must help the tenant maintain 64 to 68 °F from September 15 to June 15 under the Massachusetts heat laws. Massachusetts apartment heating laws are specified in the State Sanitary Code, officially 105 CMR 410 The Minimum Standards of Fitness for Human Habitation. This regulation has the force of law and governs all things apartment, including winter heating requirements.
Landlords have been fighting the free rent trick in Massachusetts for decades. There's a giant loophole in the Massachusetts General Laws, Chapter 239 Section 8A, that gives the tenant a "get out of jail free" card with evictions. We call this loophole "the free rent trick."
- Non-payment of rent
- Violations of lease provisions
- Nuisance/damage to unit
- Illegal activity such as drug use
- Refusal to agree to lease extension or renewal
- Failure to provide access
- Subtenant not approved by landlord
- Landlord requires premises for housing for family member
- Post-foreclosure and occupant refuses to pay fair market rent
Whether you are a tenant or landlord faced with an eviction problem, contact the Law Offices of Renee Lazar at 978-844-4095 to schedule a FREE one hour no obligation consultation to learn of your rights.