What Happens When Someone Does Not Pay Child Support in Massachusetts

On Behalf of | Sep 30, 2015 | Child Support, Contempt of Court |

The hope is that when parents don’t live together, they both understand it is their obligation, both legally and morally, to step up and care for their children. Part of doing so means that both of them should take some financial responsibility for the children, often in the form of child support. Though we might hope that all parents would willingly contribute, the reality is that some may not. So what happens when someone does not pay child support in Massachusetts? What are the consequences?

If a parent falls behind on his/her child support payments, the other parent can file a Complaint for Contempt, which requires the person who has stopped paying to appear before a Family Court judge to explain why.

To read the rest of this article, please click here.

Should you have questions regarding child support, contact the Law Offices of Renee Lazar either by email or telephone 978-844-4095 to schedule a free one hour no obligation consultation.

Set Up A Free Initial Consultation