How to Disclose Your Mental Health Condition to Your Massachusetts Employer

by | Sep 23, 2021 | Employment Law |

If you want to disclose your mental health condition to your Massachusetts employer. Here is how you should do it.

•Let your employer know you have a medical disability. Steer clear of medical terms and a specific diagnosis. Instead provide examples of how your disability affects you i.e., “I have a medical condition that affects my concentration.”
•You will need to provide information about the existence and extent of your disability or diagnosis, how your condition may limit your functioning in the job, and the accommodations that address these barriers. YOU DO NOT need to disclose your entire medical record, progress notes or tests, etc.
•Focus on your abilities, not disabilities.
•Prepare and practice what you will say ahead of time.
•List your strengths and qualifications related to this job. You can also give examples of how your experiences with a disability will positively affect your work performance.
•Share what issues you may face in the workplace due to your diagnosis and try to word it in a positive way. For example, “My disability requires me to take frequent breaks in order for me to stay productive.”
•You should engage in an “informal interactive process” with your employer and provide a specific list or a written statement that summarizes the disability and accommodations that would help you at this job.2
•Inform your employer of an action plan that works best for your safety if you become unwell at work.
•Some employers may have policies and processes in place for disclosure, which may be helpful to look over and potentially use.

Employers, no matter how large, have an obligation under the law to evaluate the individual circumstances of employees with disabilities when considering requests for reasonable accommodations.

Contact the Law Offices of Renee Lazar at 978-844-4095 to schedule a FREE one hour no obligation consultation to determine whether you have a disability discrimination case against your employer.

Set Up A Free Initial Consultation