What is the Difference Between a Caregiver Authorization and Guardian For Your Minor Massachusetts Child

by | Aug 2, 2023 | Children |

The difference between guardians and caregivers for Massachusetts minor children is and what kinds of decisions they can make for minors.


You should consider naming a caregiver for a child if:

  • Your child is living with someone other than a parent
  • You want that person to be able to make medical and educational decisions for the child

This process doesn’t take away any of the parent’s rights to make decisions, but allows the caregiver to make educational and medical decisions without talking to the parent first. This is a much simpler process than guardianship, and no forms need to be filed in court. The permission is good for up to 2 years. 


A guardian is a person chosen to make all decisions for a child, just like a parent would. You can request to be appointed as a guardian for a child if:

  • You’re caring for a child and need to make more than just educational and medical decisions for them
  • The child’s parents are unable or unavailable to care for them

A guardian is different from a caregiver because when a child has a caregiver, either the caregiver or the parent can make decisions for the child. When a child has a guardian, only the guardian, not the parent, can make decisions. If the parents don’t agree to the guardianship, you can only become guardian if the court decides that the parents are unfit to care for the child.

Should you need assistance in applying for a guardianship for your minor child or a caregiver authorization, contact the Law Offices of Renee Lazar at 978-844-4095 to schedule a FREE one hour no obligation consultation.

Set Up A Free Initial Consultation